Saturday, August 21, 2010

Countdown

We are down to the final weekend to prepare for the 2010 MR 340. I plan to get “My Dianna” back out on the local lake this weekend to make some final adjustments to her balance to compensate for my missing partner. I'm going over my list to be sure I don’t leave anything behind that I must have while paddling down the Missouri River. I’m disappointed that I don’t have a partner now, but at the same time I excited about a solo trip.

With the race postponed a month it will create a few new issues for us to deal with such as the earlier sunsets and later sunrise which translates into more hours of darkness and cooler temperatures which is conductive to producing heavy fog. We can deal with the darkness but the fog will put a stop to safe river travel.

There are too many hazards to even consider travel on the river during heavy fog. I can use my GPS to keep the canoe in the middle of the river but it will not pickup the buoys, wing dikes or debris that one must be careful of. Also sound is distorted in the fog (even for the hearing) so something that sounds like it’s on the port side may actually be anywhere. And then there are the barges both moving and stationary. If a heavy fog socks in the only option is to pull over and wait it out which more than likely will be several hours.

Last year we had a ground crew which is a great help but this year we have lost our ground crew too because of the date change. Without a ground crew I will have to carry additional baggage on the canoe so I can support myself. My wife, Dianna, is going to meet me at the 4th checkpoint which will be about 22 to 28 hours and 140 miles into the race to restock my supplies and once close to Callaway County I will get some local support from friends and relatives in the area. So I may not have a full time ground crew but will still have some support.

Last year we did it in 82+ hours so this year I’m shooting for 72 hours if the fog stays away. I will be at least a day behind the winners of my division but I have already decided that I’m going for the adventure not necessarily the win. We will know in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Yellowstone River & Dougouts

2009 MR 340 team